The Republican Party of Iowa will host its 2015 Straw Poll at the Central Iowa Expo in Boone, IA., on August 8, 2015.
According to the Republican Party of Iowa, the decision was made on Thursday morning during a conference call meeting of the State Central Committee. The final vote was unanimous.
“Iowa’s agricultural background has always captured the national imagination, and we feel the Central Iowa Expo will help us showcase this heritage,” Chairman Jeff Kaufmann said. “This venue also allows us to keep ticket prices affordable, ensuring families from across Iowa can participate in this one-of-a-kind event.”
According to the Republican Party of Iowa, the Central Iowa Expo offers:
- A central location, only 30 minutes from the Des Moines suburbs and no more than 3 hours from the farthest points of the state.
- Ample and close parking, providing a convenient experience for attendees.
- An iconic setting well-known throughout Iowa and the Midwest for it’s connection to agriculture. The bucolic surroundings evoke Iowa’s unique history, with a railroad flanking one section and corn and soybean fields surrounding the others.
- Competitive pricing, which helps keep ticket prices affordable for attendees and candidates.
- The necessary infrastructure to hold a large and nationally important event.
- Governor Branstad said that Central Iowa Expo’s price will help maintain the event’s strong attendance.
“As a former resident of Boone, I couldn’t be happier with the Central Committee’s selection. Making this event more accessible to every Iowan is an important step in keeping the straw poll a must-attend date on the presidential election calendar,” Governor Branstad said. “Boone is a wonderful town and will make a fantastic host for the 2015 Straw Poll.”
Branstad has, in the past, indicated that he thought it may be time to end the straw poll which has traditionally been held in Ames believing that the straw poll could jeopardize Iowa’s first in the nation status.
Iowa GOP Co-Chair Cody Hoefert said the Iowa Straw Poll is a unique opportunity for Iowans and presidential candidates.
“The Iowa straw poll is a tradition stretching back decades, with past winners including George H.W. Bush, George W. Bush, and Mitt Romney,” Co-Chair Hoefert said. “It’s a family-friendly event that allows Iowans to meet the men and women running to be the next president of the United States. For potential candidates, it’s an unparalleled opportunity to meet thousands of caucus goers in one day.”
Remaining details of the event will be announced in the coming weeks and months according to a press release from the Iowa GOP.